OT: Money rules, even in Rachel

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on July 22, 2006 at 2:09:45 PST:

This is off-topic for this forum, but it has a huge impact on the town of Rachel. Therefore I feel that it will be of interest to some of our readers.

As most of you will know, the Quick Pick store and Trailer Park in Rachel was recently sold to a new owner. Last month eviction notices were served to all long-term residents to vacate the trailer park by September 1st. The plan is to modernize the trailer park and change it to a short-term (two weeks max.) rental park with no more long-term residents. It has to be expected that space rental prices will go way up.

After protests from many of the current residents, a meeting was held in Rachel yesterday to discuss the planned closure of the trailer park. The county planning commission confirmed that it will be closed, and all long-time residents will be evicted, by September 1st. Those who own trailers there must move them to other places. For those not familiar with Rachel: There are many low-income residents living in the trailer park, who literally have nowhere to go. Most of the trailers are so old that they can not legally (or technically) be moved. This is an incredible hardship on the residents. But, even in Rachel, money rules...

This will change Rachel forever. The new owner of the trailer park, a guy by the name of Bunck from California, has demonstrated that he does not care about the people of Rachel. After introducing himself this way I don't foresee him getting a lot of business from the locals. He certainly won't get my business. I am posting this so that those of you who have an interest in Rachel, and who like it the way it is now, can make their own decisions.

Thank you for listening to a concerned part-time resident of Rachel

Joerg H Arnu
Dreamland Resort Owner

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]