Re: F-22

Message posted by Magoo on June 28, 2000 at 01:32:55 EST:

Jim

I have heard this too, but I don't know whether there is a firm project underway, or just a proposal being put forward to modify the F-22 design after it enters USAF service.

The F-22 design as it is would require some major modifications in order to be carrier capable. These include...

- A 'beefed up' undercarriage and larger wheel wells to contain it.
- A naval standard external tailhook.
- Airframe structural modifications to be able to handle carrier landings and cat launches.
- More redundancy in hydraulics and the FBW system.
- A longer wing span or larger flap area for slow carrier approaches (or even canards?).
- Folding wings and possibly folding nose or forward fuselage.

Now the problem is, all of the above means alot more weight, which is the primary reason why the A-12 Avenger II was eventually killed off nine years ago. The Naval F-22 would probably be less stealthy because of the folding wing mechanisms, fuselage mods for the undercarriage bays and tailhook etc. The engines may also have to be upgraded (to 35,000lbs+) to make up for the additional weight - don't want another F-14A - underpowered!

I have seen concept drawings of a navalised F-22 (F-22N), and it had a larger wing, larger horizontal stabs, and more upright vertical stabs - i.e. less stealthy!

Magoo

In Reply to: Re: F-22 posted by Jim Earll on June 28, 2000 at 00:41:01 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]