Re: F-22

Message posted by Magoo on June 30, 2000 at 06:35:11 EST:

Hey SWK....good to see you!

I don't know whether the 'F-22N' was seriously considered or not, but the concept was certainly there and looked a viable one.

The JSF will basically a multi-role fighter/attack aircraft (much like the F-16) that is supposed to be semi-stealthy, and all things to all services! However, this is easier said than done!

Based on past history, I think I can safely say that there has only ever been one aircraft that has ever successfully fulfilled that role, the mighty F-4! And the funny thing is, it was never designed that way in the first place!

I am yet to be convinced that the JSF will ever enter service, let alone meet the needs of the USN, USMC, USAF and RAF in one basic (although differing in detail) design. I suspect it may blow out in weight and cost and possibly be cancelled in a couple of years time, although I would gladly be proved wrong!

Even if it does survive, the JSF will still struggle to match the performance and range of the F-14B/D, let alone a naval F-22, and the USN will be left with a front-line aircraft that is a compromised design! If you're going to build a new $5 billion carrier every few years and project power all over the world, you still need an aircraft that can go out far from the fleet, pick a fight, and kick ass, like the Phantom did in the 60's, and the Tomcat did in the 70's and 80's!

The F/A-18E isn't in the same league, and the JSF won't have the legs, the performance, or the firepower! It's not enough anymore to win a fight with a 51-49 loss ratio...it has to be 100-0 like the F-15 and F-14 currently enjoy (the F-15 is something like 89-0 following Kosovo!) What would you rather be in?

Like I said though, I hope I'm wrong about the JSF!

Magoo

In Reply to: Re: F-22 posted by Someone Who Knows on June 30, 2000 at 06:10:25 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]