Re: F-22

Message posted by Magoo on July 02, 2000 at 18:53:16 EST:

Richard

With the JSF...you're right, I cannot comment on what it can do, but basic physics can tell me what it cannot do. The size and weights of the JSF tell me that it will not have alot of range without aux tanks (perhaps 650-700 NM radius), it is single engined (not very surviveable at sea), and if it is to retain its LO features and carry everything internally, then its warload is also going to be limited.

I can see a scenario where the JSF in LO mode would lead a gorilla package with F/A-18Es and EA-18Fs, and clear a path using JDAM, JSOW or HARM. However, I cannot see a scenario where it will be able to fly out to a radius of 1000+ NM armed with 4-6 BVR AAMs and take out incoming bombers or cruise missiles!

Sure, the F-22 may not be 'up there' avionics-wise compared to the Typhoon, but it will be deployed in far greater numbers, and therefore the quality vs quantity arguement kicks in. There may well be stealth defeating technologies around, but these are only likely to be deployed by the UK, and perhaps France, Germany or Israel, i.e. nations that are friendly to the US, or perhaps even by Russia. It is unlikely Iraq, Iran, Serbia or even China will have access to this technology for at least 20 years, by which time the US will have something new ready to deploy.

I'm not saying that a naval F-22 is the answer, just that the USN will need something off the 'top shelf' in the future if it is to be effective.

Magoo

In Reply to: Re: F-22 posted by Richard Cliff on July 02, 2000 at 16:38:32 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]