Re: Pads near Cockeyed Ridge South East of Groom

Help keep this
web site online

[ Post a Reply ] [ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]

Message posted by Skeet (Member since 06/29/2022) on June 30, 2022 at 6:49:03 PST:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have done some more looking. There are some interesting details in the 2006 image:

1. Edge of the east pad looks like it had two drainage run-offs. Makes sense to prevent the pads from flooding.
2. The smaller rectangle pad in the turning circle with a small structure attached to the south of it.
3. Each pad has a small structure on the edge of one corner. N/E corner of the west pad, north corner of the east pad. Connection points to whatever is being tested perhaps?
4. Finally, the last interesting detail in the 2006 image is what looks like a trailer in the turning circle by the pads. It's backed up to another smaller structure.

The trailer measures approx 38-40ft long and 15-16ft wide at the rear end and 8-9ft wide at the front. Semi-trailers are 8.5 ft wide so it's likely some form of
towable equipment with a wide load on the rear. It appears in the 2002 + 2006 images but is missing in all subsequent images. If it's been moved, where is it?

I had a look around the base to see if I could find it stored anywhere. Lo and behold, I found an object that looks very similar in the 2013 sat photo on the south side of building 50 (Construction/Building Maintenance Workshops). Location: 37°14'23.89"N, 115°49'7.92"W

You can actually see it in Gabe's recent photo if you zoom in: https://www.dreamlandresort.com/area51/aerial_1220_03.jpg

It looks like a huge white cylinder. Perhaps a gas or fuel storage tank? 15-16ft is much wider than a typical gas storage tank so why is it so much wider and what could it have been built for?

One hypnosis is that tank was used to store a type of gas for balloon operations/flights at the site. The trailer was backed up to what could be a connection point. The other concrete pad in turning circle could have another storage tank buried underneath (the size matches) and a pump (the small structure next to it) which transfers the fuel to the connector points next to each pad. But then why not just built this at the main base?

Another theory is that the site is a special waste storage facility. Bigger tanks buried under the concrete pads with a pumping facility to transfer from the trailer to the buried tanks. But then again, why build it all the way up in the mountain in this remote spot?

Thoughts?

In Reply to: Re: Pads near Cockeyed Ridge South East of Groom posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on June 29, 2022 at 9:35:01 PST:

Replies:

Post a Reply

(*) are required fields
Name (*):
E-Mail:
Password (*):
Subject (*):
Message (*):

Optional information:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: