Re: Which is stealthier? F/A-22A v. F-117

Message posted by greatguess on March 16, 2012 at 17:02:56 PST:

i don't know about the stealth question (not briefed) but the A2A comment made me reflect on a meeting i had to attend at WPAFB at the F22 SPO in the mid-90's. i got to see two generals go at each other's throats over the need for a gun on the airplane. the vulcan cannon on the f22 in my mind is completely useless in this day and age; if you are inept enough while flying an f22 to get within shooting range of an intact opposition fighter then you probably deserve to be shot down. i took the "no gun necessary" general's side (without speaking of course) and was amazed at how some folks just won't let go of the past - even if they have stars on their shoulders. the decision to have the gun had been made years before but it was still a verrry touchy and heated subject - sort of like religion and politics. i am sure you have all heard about these debates regarding the gun but i was fortunate enough to actually see one happen.

In Reply to: Which is stealthier? F/A-22A v. F-117 posted by Brian L on March 16, 2012 at 16:32:12 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]