Re: Plant 42 article by Richard Cliff

Message posted by Gary Sellani on September 09, 2000 at 14:37:58 EST:

Richard has writen quite a few good web pages on the site without announcing them. It pays to just surf like the site is new.

I do believe I found one inaccuracy in the Area 51 photo page. The antenna that the caption says is used for AFSATCOM I suspect is wrong. I have to go through my snapshots and find the photo of the AFSATCOM array I took at Travis. SATCOM is in the 200Mhz band (more like 250Mhz) and uses helical antennas to get the circular polarization. Occasionally, conditions will be right so you can hear satcom with use a whip antenna and a multimode miltary band scanner, i.e. you need to be able to monitor NFM around 250Mhz. Training exercises are sometimes in the clear, as well as the guys in south east asia who are looking for POW remains. The serious satcom monitor wind their own helical antennas. I am not that crazy yet. ;-) It is possible to have a dish antenna receiving satcom, but I always see the helicals at AFBs I visit.

In Reply to: Plant 42 article by Richard Cliff posted by connie on September 09, 2000 at 13:14:16 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]