Re: Phone Number / also freqs

Message posted by Gary Sellani on August 19, 2000 at 01:22:44 EST:

I hear phone patches with the DSN all the time on GHFS, such as 11.175USB. My very limited understanding of the Pacific Test Range is that they monitor missile tests across the Pacific. None of the phone calls on GHFS sound like they are related to missile tests. I'd say 99% of all calls are just for the weather, and not very exciting. Hell, the last phone patch I found interesting is when the did the press conference for Keiko the whale.....

I will admit that the notion of monitoring Groom HF is interesting. I don't think any of the Area 51 photos I've seen are good enough to detect an HF antenna. However, I have never seen an AFB without some HF antenna, so I would bet Groom has the capability. It would be a simple task for someone in the area to scan the HF band with the squelch set high and try to pick up the HF ground wave. Given the terrain of Groom, I wouldn't be surprised if the HF gear was remote. In fact, Edwards would be a good location for such a site. The mountains around Groom would make it difficult to get good low angle radiation needed for HF.

In Reply to: Re: Phone Number / also freqs posted by Richard on August 14, 2000 at 10:47:59 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]