Re: Phone Number / also freqs; now Pacific test range

Message posted by Gary Sellani on August 21, 2000 at 21:33:56 EST:

There is some talk that the Mill Valley (California) JSS (Joint Surveillance Site) is part of the Pacific Test range. If you have never been to the site, it is located on Mount Tamalpias in Marin county, just north of the Golden Gate Bridge. At one time, this location was used to coordinate radar information for the Nike Missile system, and had a tie into NORAD. After SALT was ratified, the base was closed down and most of the buildings leveled. [One Nike Missile launch site is left as a museum. ] However, the comminications area was gated off and restricted, though I don't know how serious they are about keeping out visitors. I was talking a photo of the TACAN on the hill and perhaps spent more than an average amount of time at the spot. I was visited by a white surburban that did a drive-by on the hiking trail. Later when I got the photo back I noticed there was a surveillance camera on the TACAN pointing at me. [I think I'll repeat this again this week just for yuks.] Also on the site is an array of green microwave dishes pointing eastward. What makes the dishes interesting is that they are designed to blend into the scenary.

I would suspect any only Pacific missile site to be a candidate for the Pacific test range if the site is still restricted. There was a similar Nike site at Point Arena, though I never checked it out. Note that the feds have all sorts of stuff on the JSS. The FBI uses the site, as well as the INS. A nearby site that has no security seems to be for the National Park System trunked repeater system.

Another site for the Pacific Test Range could be the infamous "blue cube" in Sunnyvale. I've toured the site [yes deadly force is authorized against those on the tour], but they show you about 5% of the building. Just the fact you can enter the cube itself is pretty cool as this was not possible a few years ago. Entering a room where you have to dial a combination is a dead give-away that sometimes critical events are handled in the room. There were secure phones around as well.

Attached link: click me to see the Nike missile site

In Reply to: Re: Phone Number / also freqs posted by Richard on August 20, 2000 at 09:58:04 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]