Re: Las Vegas Locals

Help keep this
web site online

[ Post a Reply ] [ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]

Message posted by 2113 (Member since 10/12/2020) on April 04, 2022 at 19:37:05 PST:

I wanted to put in my experience with the last part of this story. My brother and I were camping at Coyote Summit during Red Flag of March '17. We watched the HH-60U from Groom hover over Bald Mountain looking in our direction. Before Red Flag started it made it's way back to base. Red Flag kicked off with 4 F-15's setting up a wall and announcing their presence with a sonic boom from each. We watched the HSC-21 Blackjacks perform CSAR from the summit during the day with F-16 support, and the mostly high flying of the rest of the exercise.

That night we expected the same. We waited for what we thought would be the kickoff time, but it passed with nothing happening. Not sure how how much time had passed, but a little time later we were around the campfire and a helicopter with no lights had flown down the ridge towards "student gap" (I think is what they call it) towards Rachel. The most interesting thing about this was that we had no idea until it had passed us in visual sight. No sound leading up to it being on top of us, and only once it had passed did we hear anything. That night, Red Flag continued like the day with the same sonic booms and high flying. No CSAR that we saw. I know that kind of flying is taught and obviously used to get in and get out. I've always wanted to think it was one of the "newer models", but I keep coming back to it just being base security doing what they do best.

In Reply to: Re: Las Vegas Locals posted by casper_n on April 04, 2022 at 11:33:49 PST:

Replies:

Post a Reply

(*) are required fields
Name (*):
E-Mail:
Password (*):
Subject (*):
Message (*):

Optional information:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: