10gB a second laser comms

Help keep this
web site online

[ Post a Reply ] [ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]

Message posted by Smythers (Member since 01/10/2010) on January 28, 2022 at 13:21:04 PST:

2 years ago, I wrote about how high speed laser comms were changing the face of encrypted comms, and how that high altitude UAV and manned assets were utilizing said systems (with a little write up about the historical lineage of it all.

Color me shocked when I saw this drop into my inbox today.

"This is tough technical challenge, Strobel said. Optical communications between air and space requires “some of the hardest pointing and navigating that you could possibly do, especially if we’re told that they need to maintain this uplink while they’re maneuvering.”

The laser terminal for this project would transmit 10 gigabits per second of data. Strobel said the terminal will be based on an existing Space Micro design but would be enhanced with adaptive optics technology developed by Johns Hopkins University for NASA. Space Micro also teamed with Rhea Space Activity, a startup that is developing a deep-space autonomous navigation and attitude-control system for military spacecraft."

End Quote

A pod for air frames that cannot be retrofitted with an internal system. A nice little piece for sure, but the kicker that most people overlook is that it is a precision navigational aid. Think GPS with light. Not just high speed comms, but a precision alternative for GPPS in denied territories.

Just a little something to mull over.

Attached link: https://spacenews.com/afwerx-to-fund-development-of-laser-terminal-that-connects-military-aircraft-with-satellites/

Replies:

Post a Reply

(*) are required fields
Name (*):
E-Mail:
Password (*):
Subject (*):
Message (*):

Optional information:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: