Re: F-117s Over Iran??

Message posted by Duke on July 24, 2020 at 8:02:42 PST:

Rogoway gave a number of reasons for its use over either of those a/c against the Syrians. If those arguements were valid then, they'd still be valid with the Iranians.

First, and to my mind foremost, it was preferable to lose a F-117 vice the other two aircraft over Syria since the technology is older and has already been compromised in Serbia. You'd rather have the Russians (or Iranians) recover a golden BB dispatched F-117 than a 35 or 22.

He talked about the superior IR signature of the F-117 compared to the other two aircraft, significant taking into account the advanced fighters and air defense systems deployed in Syria by the Russians.
Iran is still flying IRST equipped F-14s and MiG-29s, and I think I remember reading the Russians have sold advanced SAMs to them as well.

His most intriguing point dealt with the possibility 117s might have been flown not by the USAF, but the CIA. While the CIA has shown before they will employ sheep dipped USAF aircrew and maintainers, I find this an unlikely scenario.

If I can find Rogoway's article, I'll post it.

In Reply to: Re: F-117s Over Iran?? posted by CoyoteUgly on July 22, 2020 at 17:56:27 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]