Re: interest in Groom Lake

Message posted by Peter Merlin on September 01, 2010 at 10:20:01 PST:

I didn't know what to make of Lazar's stories, at first. A the time, not much was publicly known about Area 51. Pretty soon people were going on "Saucer Base Expeditions" to the black mailbox and the whole thing turned into a media circus.

The major claim at the time was that a mysterious glowing craft could be seen to rise above the Groom Lake area, hover, and descend. It was said to be fairly predictable. For me, the best illustration of this phenomenon was an incident in which two groups of people observed the object from different vantage points. One group, at the mailbox, was excited to see the craft perform exactly as expected (climbing and hovering before descending below the hills on the horizon). The second group of observers was located much closer, on Freedom Ridge. They had a clear view of the craft and the base. It was a Janet 737 climbing up out of Las Vegas, maintaining cruise altitude, and then descending for a landing at Groom Lake.

I have never met Lazar but it was interesting (for a while) to read about him. Tom Mahood did an in-depth study of Lazar's background.

Suffice it to say, I do not believe that there is any connection between Groom Lake and extraterrestrial technology. No one has ever produce one shred of real evidence that there is such a connection and some of the supposed "proof" that was offered turned out to be obvious fabrications. Also, none of the numerous personnel I have talked to who worked at Groom have ever given credence to such rumors. Most thought the whole UFO/Area 51 connection was a joke. Some were just angry at how this urban legend has put a spotlight on their facility, thereby impeding the important work they were trying to accomplish. When tourists were camped on Freedom Ridge 24 hours a day, seven days a week, tests had to be postponed or cancelled.

In Reply to: Re: interest in Groom Lake posted by Pete on August 31, 2010 at 17:23:39 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]