Re: Scanner question for the experienced people here

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on January 23, 2007 at 8:01:08 PST:

There are three bands (frequency ranges) of interest out there: VHF (civilian air, 118-137MHz), UHF (military air, 225-400MHz) and 400 MHz trunking.

Trunking scanners are expensive, and of somewhat limited use up there. If you are on a budget, I would not go for that. But I would try to find a scanner that covers the military air band. Most of the Red Flag and Nellis Fighter Weapons School radio traffic is in that band. Unfortunately there are not many scanners that support mil. air any more, but I am sure you can find some on Ebay. You may also want to look into mail order web sites from Europe.

Some RS scanners do not originally cover the military air band, but can be "opened up" via software. It has been my experience that, although they cover mil. air after the modification, the sensitivity (reception) is somewhat limited because the filters etc. in them are not designed to operate on that band.

With a scanner that only covers the civilian air band you can still pick up the various ATC centers, and the Janets on Nellis Control and on Groom Approach and Tower (if you have the frequencies). Some of the Red Flag Air-to-Air radio traffic is also in the civilian air band, or just above it.

In Reply to: Scanner question for the experienced people here posted by SLC_Dreamland on January 22, 2007 at 19:18:00 PST:


[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]