Re: fire near mail summit road??

Message posted by lone wolf on June 06, 2004 at 19:32:56 PST:

I lose track of what I post versus what I might mail to someone, but I was around central Nevada for the Silver State Classic event. Since they shut down 318, I camped out the night before somewhere on a road that branched off of Mail Summit, not far from the location of this fire. In the morning, I headed for the gate (intersection Mail Summit and 318), talked to the gate guard a bit, then watched as the cars passed by. [I'll save the forum about 3 paragraphs of my drivel, but that is not where to park for this event.]

Anyway, after I got bored of watching cars race by, I did the whole Mail Summit Road route that goes past the road leading to Leviathon Cave, then circles around the Worthington Mountains and back to the ET Highway. It's worth the trip at least once. For those who haven't seen Garden Valley, this route will take you to the south tip of Garden Valley. Another fine way to burn petrochemicals is to drive through Garden Valley and over the Quinn range, then end up near the oil fields of the Railroad Valley. Of course, none of this is Groom Lake related, but these trips are good for a change of pace.

It might be just me, but some Garden Valley residents don't take too kindly to strangers poking around. I was chased down by some guys on ATV's asking what I was doing driving around there. Like I can't drive public roads. I gave them some lip (sailor talk), and they backed off. It wasn't the kind of treatment you would get from say a Rachel resident.

In Reply to: Re: fire near mail summit road?? posted by Dave Bethke on June 06, 2004 at 18:41:35 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]