Terraserver pics analysis

Message posted by Magoo on April 25, 2000 at 05:45:22 EST:

Hi all

Just spent a few hours checking out the 1998 pics on the Terraserver site. Thought I'd give my analysis of them based on my limited knowledge of the area. If any are wrong, please correct me!

There are 3 pages of 19 pics on the site, and I have described them in order of their presentation.

1. Obviously Groom Lake and Area 51. Note lack of skid marks on old runway now thought to be de-commissioned, and the new wider 2nd runway and taxiways.

2. Initially thought it was the Korean Airfield near TPECR, but upon closer look, appears to be on Site-4 or possibly Tonopah ECR. Any comments?

3. Almost certainly Tolicha Peak Electronic Combat Range (TPECR).

4. Possibly a small tactical training airfield for C-130/C-27 ops, certainly located just south of Gold Mtn, about 10 miles WSW of Scottys Jctn on US95, near Californian Border. Outside the Nellis Range boundary, and may be associated with another branch or base. Any suggestions?

5. Main Base at Tonopah Test Range (TTR).

6. Nevada Test Site (NTS), possibly Yucca Flat where bulk of above and below ground tests were conducted in 1950's and 1960's.

7. Area 12 Workers Camp, base for miners and workers in Pahute Mesa at northern end of NTS.

8. Nevada Test Site (NTS) again.

9. Sedan Crater at northern end of NTS, close to Area 12, Papoose Lake, and Gate 700 leading to Area 51 (see map on Connie's excellent NTS tour report in the 'Trip Reports' section of this site).

10. Just service roads up and around the Area 19 site.

11. Papoose Lake - no secret UFO base here! You can zoom in really close to the ridge and finger that comes out into the NE corner of the Lake to see for yourself.

12. Tolicha Peak Electronic Combat Range (TPECR). Mountain at bottom left of pic is Tolicha Peak.

13. THIS is the Korean Airfield SW of TPECR, a series of gradings in the desert in the shape of a typical eastern block or Korean fighter airfield, complete with plywood replica aircraft, buildings, targets, and electronic threats.

14. Looks to be soil sample scrapings taken from somewhere in the NTS. Any comments or suggestions?

15. NTS again - high level waste landfill.

16. Looks like Beatty, on US95 between Tonopah and Las Vegas.

17. Tonopah Airport, about 10 miles east of the town of Tonopah, not to be confused with the base at TTR.

18. A mock SA9 SAM site at TPECR or possibly Site-4. 'Star Of David' pattern is quite distinct.

19. Indistinct aircraft, probably a large heliopter or possibly an MV-22 at the southern end of the ramp at the base at TTR. Any suggestions?

I welcome any comments.

Magoo

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]