Re: Big Boys Toys.

Message posted by Richard on April 12, 2000 at 09:54:59 EST:

All the airworthy Lightnings were based at my local airport of Exeter in the Classic Jet Company.
They sold them all to South Africa of where they now FLY them aswell as the awesome Buccaneer.
In the UK there are no licences available for private pilots to fly such a powerful and fast jet.
Remember it is capable of 1,500mph and has an awesome climb rate. It is too powerful for anyprivate pilot to take out for the day!
The Classic Jet Company fliesHunters of which are capable of over Mach 1 out of Exeter. One was up testing the other saturday right up to 45,000ft....not bad for a Hunter that old and flying again...

The Vulcan is based at Bruntingthorpe and to fly again they need to strip the vulcan to pieces and re-assemble to guidelines set up by the CAA.
It is costing millions to do, but when done, WOW...another great plane on the airshow circuit.

I remember seeing the one of the last Vulcan shows ever...it was a lovely sight seeing it climb away near verticle for the size of it...being a V-Bomber.

I was sad to see the Victor go...even faster, higher flying and could carry more than the Vulcan.

Didnt the Vulcan and Buccaneer test the USAF Defences and fly from the east coast to Nevada without being detected or if they did, were never caught and shot down....they made it home perfect.
I think the Bucc did it first, then the vulcan and put the US Defences to shame.
The Bucc was one of the fastest bombers at low level, and a US Aggressor once said he could never shoot down the Buccs when they turned down to low level...saying it was damn impossible....

Richard

In Reply to: Re: Big Boys Toys. posted by Magoo on April 10, 2000 at 18:03:41 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]