Re: FAS/Groom page

Message posted by Tom on March 28, 2000 at 22:34:40 EST:

I have no idea if the editor would release the photo. It was some time ago. Our initial telephone conversation was really funny, as he wanted to know why I was asking questions about it, and I didn't really want to let on my interest in the place. We danced around a while, and eventually discovered we were both on the same frequency and everything was fine.

I don't know the present status of Glenn's photos. He was also give a very nice B&W photo from a source. As I recall, it probably originated as a commercial Soviet product. From this photo, a negative was made, and eventually from that the posters were produced. I think some photographic prints were made (as I have one) from the negative, as an alternative to the poster. Their resolution was much better, but they weren't nearly as cheap.

As far as I know, there are presently only two high resolution (about 2 meters) satellite photos of Groom floating around. One is the photo the Lazar poster was based upon (taken July 17, 1988), and the B&W image that's been the topic of this thread (taken circa 1991). Other than the lower resolution Landsat thematic mapper images, there are no others (At least until the FAS stirs things up again).

As I haven't been much of an annoyance to those guys at the "Remote Location" in recent times, I'll email a scan of the main facility to Joerg for him to do as he pleases.

Tom

In Reply to: Re: FAS/Groom page posted by Magoo on March 28, 2000 at 17:38:24 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]