Re: Janet Flights

Message posted by Magoo on February 17, 2000 at 16:23:21 EST:

Although the Su-37 may be able to out-dogfight the F-22, I'll still back the F-22 anyday. Its radar is a generation+ ahead, its passive sensors are better, It's engines are much better, and it'll swat anything out of the sky before they even know it's there! You'd never get close enough to a '22' to dogfight it.

I guess the MiG-29 vs F/A-18 arguement comes down to pilot skills and ROE as well as outright abilities. The MiG-29 can go right over to 110+ degrees in a cobra, but must return to level flight quickly otherwise it'll drop out of the sky tail first. It can only hold about 40-45 degrees for anything longer than a few seconds. The F/A-18 can only go to about 70 degrees and can hold it for a while, but cannot go past that.

There were reports in the early days of F/A-18 testing, of the vertical stabs fluttering so bad they were cracking during high alpha. They fixed it with the addition of a small vertical strake on the leading edge chine that broke up the air flowing onto the stab. This was an Aussie development by DSTO in Adelaide by the way!

I'd love to see an F-16C Block 40+ with the -229 engine up against a MiG-29M. Now, that'd be a fight!

What is it with all the Poms that read this site? Then again, I suppose the weather is so crap over there, that you guys have nothing better to do than sit on the web!!!

Magoo

In Reply to: Re: Janet Flights posted by Richard on February 17, 2000 at 14:06:24 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]