Re: Our Migs (Magoo)

Message posted by Andre' M. Dall'au on February 10, 2000 at 08:37:22 EST:

I heard that the MIG-25 production was a direct result of our XB-70 program. Then we cancelled the whole idea of a high-altitude, high-speed bomber, but the Soviets went ahead with the MIG-25. They were left with a fast, non-manueverable point defense interceptor. It kind of explains how they eventually ran out of money. The Soviets threw money at the military like a democratic Congress would like to throw money at liberal causes. The MIG-25 scared the whole world when one made a MACH 3+ dash down the length of the Suez canal. When Victor Belenkof defected to Japan, it was found that the MIG-25 that did the run had it's engines scrapped after it landed, as it could not sustain those speeds and maintain it's engines. The MIG-25 was also so short-legged that it landed in Japan on fumes. Belenkov's book "MIG Pilot" is well worth reading. If you can't find it down under, let me know and I'll find a copy to send you.

In Reply to: Re: Our Migs (Magoo) posted by Magoo on February 09, 2000 at 16:46:19 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]