Gary, maps, pics, Space Imaging, and AWST

Message posted by passenger 51 on October 04, 2000 at 03:13:05 EST:

I am thinking ahead of my research, so bear with me.

There are lots of pictures taken AT Groom Lake, although they haven't been noted as such. The pics of the U-2 being unloaded, and it's various ops during initial development were taken there.

So the discussion regarding where to see the installation based upon CD-ROM topographical data (a while ago) got me thinking: is there any way to look at these photos and figure out where they were taken from (with help from a sat photo)? A good one I just stumbled upon is from the Dec '98/ Jan '99 Air and Space magazine (p.28-29) in an article about the U-2 shows a C-124 Globemaster unloading the "Article", and shows a pretty good panorama of the surroundings. This image is probably circa '55, but it should be possible to figure out the location and the angle. There are also additional Groom images in a book about the F-117 (I don't have the exact info). I don't know if this is really interesting or not, but it was just a thought I had.

Additionally, I checked www.spaceimaging.com site a few weeks ago, and they had Area 51 images available for download, and also a 3D FLYTHROUGH AVAILABLE for sale. I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard it's pretty interesting.

Another note, I try to keep up with AWST, however I just noticed an article regarding the classified Big Safari USAF reconnaisance program in the 07/24/00 issue. It's pretty good with great insight into the Gulf War.

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]