Re: BAE Systems and Lockheed-Martin - AMARC

Message posted by Magoo on September 28, 2000 at 17:32:49 EST:

Gary

You may even be able to get guided tours of Mojave airport and the boneyard.

When I was in the US in 1993, I was fortunate to go on a tour of AMARC (Aerospace Maintenance And Regeneration Center) at Davis-Monthan AFB. For those who don't know, this is where recently retired US military aircraft are stored in the desert at Tuscon AZ.

Just some of the aircraft I saw there...

* 140+ B-52s (mainly D and G models) stretched wingtip to wingtip.
* 100+ F-111s (D, E & G models)
* 50+ A-10s (early build models)
* 250+ F-4s (E & G models)
* 100+ F-15s (early build A models)
* 100+ A-6s (E models)
* 100+ F-14s (early build A models)

plus many more types such as A-7s, A-4s, B707s, KC-135s, A-3s, F-5s, C-130s, C-123s, C-141s, even the sole surviving F-107 and F-111B! There are a few civilian aircraft there too.

Many of these aircraft could be regenerated at fairly short notice in the event of a crisis, although the B-52s and F-11s have been disabled under the START and SALT treaties. In fact, many USN, ANG and AFRC aircraft are rotated through AMARC and swapped with aircraft in storage, so as to extend the overall life of the type.

The Air Force conducts tours of this base, but bookings must be made and they are frequently booked our months in advance. It is an absolute must for any aviation nut (like myself :-)!)

There is a census of the types stored at AMARC on the Davis-Monthan AFB website. Last time I checked, there were 3500+ aircraft on the website database. Attached is a link to that site.

http://www.dm.af.mil/amarc/default.htm

Magoo

Attached link: AMARC

In Reply to: Re: BAE Systems and Lockheed-Martin - attn Richard posted by Gary Sellani on September 28, 2000 at 14:44:53 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]