Re: 1m Sat Photos - evidence of underground bases?

Message posted by Tom on September 22, 2000 at 22:04:14 EST:

Sigh. I had hoped the idea of Helendale (note proper spelling) being an underground facility had gone away, but I guess it hasn't. The plans for the place are available for anyone who will get off their butts to look, in the San Bernadino County offices.

I suppose it depends on how you define "underground". When they built it, they excavated a depression, in which they dug a 200 foot deep silo hole. Over that hole, in which the pylon resides (sorry, no aliens), was built a masonry wall structure that is pretty much flush with the surrounding ground. And that thing isn't very large, just large enough to hide their RCS models. This is the only "underground" stuff out there.

So is it an underground facility? Only if you would call a baseball dugout an underground facility! As an aside I'll add that I have it on pretty good authority that Lockheed was planning on mothballing the place as of a few months ago.

Unfortunately most folks have no idea how difficult it is to construct and operate a real underground facility. They do exist, and most are well known. You have to deal with heating, cooling, power feeds, personnel access, and taking out the trash. These issues are routinely dismissed by those promulgating underground base theories. But they can't be serious problems.

There is one good reason to go to huge expense and trouble to build things underground: Surviving a nuclear srike. Even that is questionable these days, as targeting has advanced to the point where even the most hardened facilities, say Cheyenne Mountain, would not survive through a precisely targeted direct hit.

If you want to hide something, it's far cheaper to do it in plain sight, disguised as something else. For example, I was told by someone who would know, that there is "something" (I don't know what or where, but I guess a comm facility) in Las Vegas that people pass by every day and never pay a bit of notice to. But it is a highly classified secret facility. You DON'T put something into the side of a mountain unless you want to advertise it to anyone with spy satellite capability.

As for Groom, it is my understanding there is or was a small underground facility there. It was used as an emergency fallout shelter during those wonderful wacky days of above ground nuke testing. This would allow anyone stuck there in case of an "oops" to take temporary refuge. It wasn't meant to be used for more than a day or so. But that's a far cry from an underground base.

In Reply to: Re: 1m Sat Photos - evidence of underground bases? posted by Curtis on September 22, 2000 at 18:16:36 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]