Re: Off topic

Message posted by Magoo on September 18, 2000 at 17:22:34 EST:

hehehehe...!

Yeah, ok! We actually introduced Triathlon, but I'm sure there are some Englishmen and maybe even a few Americans who could match up in drinking! And then there's the Germans...!

The Games have been awesome..done so much for the city and the way people treat each other...they truly are a force to bring people together! I'm going to Track & Field on Dunsay evening (early Sunday your time), so give me a wave if you're watching the 400m semi finals!

As for the Sparrow, you're right when you relate the early kill ratio, but that was more to do with the early unreliability of the lauch aircrafts' radar, and that they were too close to use them. The Sparrow's optimum kill distance (well, back then anyway!) was about 6-20 miles, any closer and the radar didn't have time to cue and lock, any further and it ran out of gas!

Just for everyone's info, the current AIM-7M model Sparrow can be used in the 4-35 mile range, the current AIM-9L Sidewinder in the 1-12 mile range, and the AIM-120 AMRAAM from about 10-45 miles. The AMRAAM and the AIM-9L are probably the weapons of choice for most AA combat these days!

However, the new ASRAAM, the AIM-9X Advanced Sidewinder, the Israeli Python 4, and the Russian R-77 can all be fired 'over the shoulder' by being cued with a pilots' helmet mounted site, and these will all dramatically change the way future air battles are fought! You will no longer be safe while chasing an opponent from directly behind!

Magoo

In Reply to: Re: AREA 51 and fiber optic technology posted by Andre' M. Dall'au on September 18, 2000 at 08:50:07 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]