F-117 Near Miss

Message posted by someonewhoknows on September 09, 2000 at 23:21:16 EST:

All -

I read a couple posts about the F-117 near miss in California. The 410th Flight Test Squadron operates F-117s out of AF Production Facility 42 (Plant 42) in Palmdale, CA. This unit does the "flight testing" of the F-117, as well as flight testing for avionics upgrades, etc, much like the units at Edwards do for the F-16, F-15, et al. For those not familiar with Plant 42, that is where Rockwell builds and does follow-up mods on the B-1 Lancer, and it is also where the B-2 was built. It is quite a large facility, with some very large hangars. Additionally, a good majority of the Space Shuttle modification (depot work, so to speak) takes place there. Lockheed has a component of their famed Skunk Works at Plant 42, as well as offices across the way off of Sierra Highway.

Interesting note...if you were to visit Plant 42, you would see a large compound guarded by "rent-a-cops". The installation itself is commanded by a USAF Lt Col, and there is a very small detachment of military folks that work their, and are supported out of Edwards Air Force Base. An interesting story I heard about the place from a buddy of mine who oversaw security there some years ago (a MSgt) had to do with the fence around Plant 42.

Seems that there was a contract to replace the chain link fence, and add barbed wire to the top of it. Well, the commander at the time, decided that rather have the barbed wire point out from the fence, he would modify the contract so that the barbed wire and associated hardware pointed inward. The idea behind it was that if someone climbed the fence, they would have a harder time getting out, then getting in. Of course, this decision was made without regard to what the AFIs said about security, and once it was discovered that this modification was "illegal", it was too late to change it. The cost to fix this problem was in excess of $1M. That Lt Col was promptly fired, and reassigned as the Commander, 1925th Comm Squad. at Edwards.

It is not un

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]