Re: Basecamp VOR(Hmmm WHY BOTHER!!!)

Message posted by Gary Sellani on September 08, 2000 at 21:42:15 EST:

Going through all the threads here, the fact that the VOR is not in the databases BUT does exist makes it interesting. The fact that someone turns it on and off makes it more interesting because they wouldn't do that without a reason. The post regarding AEC was really interesting, and I'm going to see what I can turn up on the net regarding this project.

The Groom VOR may not have much range due to the terrain nearby. Perhaps they fire up AEC for night flights (i.e. no VFR). If so, from what direction would you need the AEC VOR, assuming you are not going to land at Base Camp.

My knowledge of VOR is pretty limited, but I gather it is only used for long distance nagivation. That is, if you were flying around the area testing a high speed airplane, fiddling with the VOR isn't very useful.

For those who don't know what a tacan looks like, I have a photo of one here:
http://www.lazygranch.com/images/aug2000/tacan.jpg
This one is located on Mt. Tamalpais, just north of San Francisco.

Has anyone ever attempted to measure the runway at Base Camp? If so, what kinds of planes could land there?

Incidentally, no one ever commented about the HF gear at Base Camp. Since the Groom flighs are local, why the long distance gear?

In Reply to: Re: Basecamp VOR(Hmmm WHY BOTHER!!!) posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on September 08, 2000 at 17:24:46 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]