Re: new stuff on my web site - feedback

Message posted by Magoo on September 05, 2000 at 17:54:27 EST:

Zip

You're correct when you say the German Phantoms at Holloman are now wearing US markings, however they remain owned by the Luftwaffe. They are the F-4F model Phantom, a model that was based on the F-4E and built only for the Luftwaffe with some European avionics and now with an APG-65 radar set.

The last US frontline unit to operate the Phantom retired their F-4G 'Weasel' aircraft in 1993 as the F-16CJ came on line. The only fully owned and operated USAF F-4 units are now secondary support, chase, or weapons integration aircraft at bases such as Edwards etc. QF-4 aircraft are owned and operated by Tracor Systems and BAe Systems at Mojave and other bases.

I have attached a link to the Holloman web page, and the only other flying unit there besides the 49th Fighter Wing (F-117), is the German AF Tactical Training Center. There is a link to the site for the GAFTTC, but it is German - perhaps Joerg could translate it?!?!

Magoo

Attached link: Holloman AFB

In Reply to: Re: new stuff on my web site - feedback posted by zipper on September 05, 2000 at 10:35:28 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]