Re: new stuff on my web site - feedback

Message posted by Magoo on September 05, 2000 at 05:25:25 EST:

Zip

You're right about about an F-4 unit being at Holloman, and yes it is operated by USAF instructor crews, but the aircraft are German F-4Fs. The Luftwaffe bases a squadron of its aircraft there because of a lack of flying space in Europe, and they send pilots to Holloman on a rotational basis to get experience flying in the vast SW desert areas of the US. The aircraft carry German markings, and US registrations.

The US crews basically operate the aircraft virtually on a contract basis, and I'm told there was no shortage of applicants when the opportunity came up to continue flying the 'Fug'!

Singapore operates a squadron of F-16Ds and a detachment of KC-135R tankers in a similar way, by basing them in the US due to a lack of airspace and support facilities in SE Asia. They also have an SF-211 training squadron and an AS-332 helo squadron based in Australia, and an A-4S attack squadron based in France.

I haven't seen a list of the participants of Green Flag 00, but if someone has it, check to see whether there were any Phantom operators - this would most likely explain the 'Fug' over the Cedar Pass area that day.

Magoo

In Reply to: Re: new stuff on my web site - feedback posted by zipper on September 04, 2000 at 23:27:41 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]