Re: Basecamp VOR

Message posted by Gary Sellani on September 03, 2000 at 22:09:54 EST:

Joerg:

Can you get the waypoints for these mile markers? It is so much easier to use a GPS now that SA is gone.

I'm not a pilot, but I'm told the VORs are used for general navigation, not just landings. So you may be right that the beacon being active means there are planes in the area. From what I understand about the VOR, you have to latch onto a "radial", and this can be tricky. Having a second VOR to lock onto is more reliable since you are not as dependent as getting the right radial. Of course, why bother turning off the VOR? I'm sure the military can afford the power bill.

If you take the highway 6 to California from Tonopah, out in the desert there is a VOR without a runway nearby. [I could dig up the coords if it matters.] It doesn't show up on www.airnav.com, but it is found in www.penguinair.com Anyway, the point is VOR does not always equal airport, but if you have an airport, you have a VOR.

I did a quick search on both AEC and MCY and I notice that MCY ("supposedly" the Groom VOR) is in the standard databases. AEC doesn't show up in any of the databases. The MCY frequency is listed as 326, which I don't know how to translate to something that you could put in a scanner. Next time you drive down route 95, see if this is the VOR is what you hear on Tikaboo.

Gary

In Reply to: Re: Basecamp VOR posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on September 03, 2000 at 21:04:31 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]