Re: If horses could talk.. (now F15 Crash #1) (now f16 crash)

Message posted by Richard on August 31, 2000 at 16:23:03 EST:

Gary

thats correct.
I was wrong, i thought it was NW, but NE so that makes it just south of the Desert MOA border. But take a look in the transcript. Says 'training mission on Nellis Air Force Range'
This isnt part of the range, but an MOA...

Take a look at the Nellis AFB site for details in the news:
NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev. - One Air Force pilot ejected safely from his
aircraft and a second returned to Nellis Air Force Base safely following a midair collision
between two F-16s at approximately 5 p.m. Tuesday.

Maj. David Kossler, a pilot with more than 3,300 hours of flying time (more than 1,900
in the F-16) was participating in a four-ship squadron training mission on Nellis Air Force
Range when the accident occurred. He ejected safely from his aircraft approximately 50
miles northeast of the base near Morman Mesa, sustaining only minor injuries. Kossler
was recovered by Nellis' 66th Rescue Squadron and flown to the base where he was
evaluated at the Mike O'Callaghan Federal Hospital and released.

The second F-16 involved in the accident sustained minor damage and was flown by
Maj. Brandon Sweat, a pilot with more than 2,400 hours of flying time (more than 2,300
in the F-16). Both pilots and aircraft involved are assigned to the 422nd Test and Evaluation
Squadron that is part of the 53rd Wing at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. The unit operates from
Nellis Air Force Base.

"Anytime we have an accident, we are extremely concerned," said Brig. Gen. David L. Moody,
commander of the 57th Wing at Nellis Air Force Base. "We take our safety record very
seriously and do everything we can to mitigate the risks involved in flying our high performance
aircraft. I am confident the safety board will determine what occurred in this accident and,
if there are procedures we need to change to eliminate that risk, they will be done immediately."
The safety board convened immediately following the accident to investigate the cause.

In Reply to: Re: If horses could talk.. (now F15 Crash #1) (now f16 crash) posted by Gary Sellani on August 31, 2000 at 13:44:07 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]