Re: Story

Message posted by Gary Sellani on July 16, 2000 at 04:11:51 EST:

Never played Metal Gear, but Half-Life was a PITA, though lots of fun. Now Half-life has Cammo Dudes, but they are much meaner than the cammo dudes at Area 51 (I hope). The key to killing the Half-Life cammo dudes was to get them alone. If they were near each other, the artificial intelligence of the program gave them truly impressive team work.

I would suggest getting one of those game editors and write your own "wad" file for Quake II. If you look at the background of some of the guys at Id Software, they were kids who designed custom versions of Doom. Id software just hired them based on their designs.

I would suggest your game starts in Las Vegas. You could do a cool intro from the air showing the Luxor beaming it's laser light. Your "hero" would have to smuggle himself (or herself) into a crate at the EG&G freight center near the airport. I'd say a big crate of "moon pies" would be appropriate. [Moon Pies are universally funny.] Then you hitch a ride on the Janet airline (use the Gold Coast call sign leaving the airport). Once you land, well, you are on your own as who knows what goes on there. Presumably you will be discovered by the cammo dudes and have to escape to tell the world the truth. I'd say a humvee ride in the Nevada Test site going between the huge craters would be cool. If you could work in the Area 51 "observers" (i.e. the visitors in this discussion group) into the story, you could use real scenes from the area, such as the main gate, powerline overlook, etc. Radio contact with someone on the inside would be possible with a repeater on Tickaboo. Note that the shacks you can see don't appear to be doing any sigint (covert radio monitoring), i.e. no discone antennas are seen. [A discone is an antenna used to "discover" radio communications. You always see them around military installation, TV stations, etc.] Bald Mountain may haev a discone, but nobody has taken a good enough photo to see one. [Maybe the discone is hidden in the radome.] Here is one on ebay for those who never saw a discone:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=381321958

One of the problems in this kind of game is your target is the US military, which is very NON-PC. [This is why most games shoot space monsters. There is no antidefamation group for space monsters. Soldier of Fortune is getting banned in both Canada and England due to the human targets.] Now Half-LIfe could get away with shooting the US military because the feds were trying to suppress the truth about the "accident". You need to think of what to discover at Area 51 that makes the Air Force want to terminate you with extreme prejudice. I suspect Area 51 contains a huge mound of AOL free CDROMs that were tossed in the trash. They have to dump those things someplace.

I'll buy a copy, but it has to use open-GL.

In Reply to: Story posted by Nick Jade on July 15, 2000 at 22:46:54 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]