Re: Seeing the Base From Tikaboo

Message posted by Andre' M. Dall'au on July 09, 2000 at 17:18:06 EST:

I managed to get a Celestron C-90 (an early orange model) with adaptors for mine and Joerg's cameras to the top of Tikaboo, so I speak of some success. That is for the VERY hazy valley that thwarted clear viewing. That is the first and totally out of control varible you'll have to contend with. If it's hazy to look down the valley before you climb, it'll be worse when you get to the top. I looked at the various Schmidt-Cassegrains and found the cheapest, the most simplistic, and the easiest man-portability was the C-90. It does not have the higher magnification of the Meade (1000mm vs. 1200), but it is more durable, smaller, and has less useless frills than the Meades. Cheaper too, I picked up mine off the ASTROMART Classifieds, for about $271.00. you will need to get the T-mount for the telescope, and then the specific adapter for you camera, but that should be less than $50-75. You'll have to determine the diameter of your video camera lens and find a screw adaptor, with the needed step-down rings to make it work There is some vignetting with some of the cameras, the Canon EOS and Minolta automatics, so I cannot say what it would be like with a video camera. The C-90 has tripod adapters that will allow you to use regular camera tripods. Make sure you pack it well for the ascent, and ensure a clear day for your efforts. If I can help you in any way, feel free to e-mail me.

In Reply to: Seeing the Base From Tikaboo posted by BillyGK1 on July 08, 2000 at 17:15:26 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]