Re: Area 19 - May it RIP

Message posted by Tom Mahood on July 05, 2000 at 22:17:15 EST:

Joerg:

I don't know of anyplace online where the power distribution maps are available. They are contained in various environmental documents generated a few years back by the NTS. At the time one could just send in their name to be included on the distribution list, and some time later the mailman shows up with a 1 foot hugh pile of wonderous documents. Since they are now complete, they aren't freely distributing them anymore, but they are still on file at the DoE Vegas Reading Room, and most area libraries. I think the Reading Room also has maps of the power distribution system. You see, the NTS isn't nearly as fixated on secrecy as is their next door neighbor.

As to the issue of resolution and pixels, it is indeed quite possible to see something smaller then one meter if there's enough of whatever you're looking at to turn the pixel "on". As an example, if you look at certain portions of the Ikonos TIF images of Groom, it is actually possible to parking lot striping in some areas (near hangar 18 I think). Certainly the striping lines are smaller than a meter, but they are there. They're visible because they form a line and manage to turn on adjacent pixels. Remember the imager works by taking an average of the light values across a one pixel area.

Another consideration is that wheel paths on a dirt road, crunched through snow to bare earth beneath, are likely wide enough to be seen easily. The power lines themselves are easy to find and follow.

But in any case, see for youself. If you need to buy the full-blown TIF version of the image, it was only $10 or $15 bucks, as I recall. Once you start examining the ground with a good photoshop-type program, it's real clear what you can see (and what you can't see).

Tom

In Reply to: Re: Area 19 - May it RIP posted by Gary Sellani on July 05, 2000 at 18:16:03 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]