What the hell was that noise.

Message posted by Ian Nightingale on July 03, 2000 at 17:50:04 EST:

Dear All
Me and my girlfriend finally made it to the border of Area 51 on Friday 9th June about noon.I was a little disapointed there was'nt any Cammo Dudes around untill I saw one perched on top of the hill to the left of the border,just as I got out of the car to take some photos of the border signs.We stayed there for about 10 minutes just taking in the emptiness and weirdness of the place,untill from out of nowhere something what sounded like to me the most powerfull jet engine sound I have ever heard,it lasted for about 5 seconds and we could tell it was coming from behing the mountains towards Area 51.it was an awesome sound,very powerfull and deep throated,on hearing it my stomach got a sudden case of butterflies and my girlfriend locked herself in the car.I was just expecting some mega Black aircraft to rise up from the hills in front of the border.
From hearing the noise I would say it sounded like a quick engine test of some kind.It reminded me of the engine runs like they do at British Aerospace near where I live,but I have heard nothing what sounded as powerfull as this.I mean if it did come from Groom Lake,which I reckon it did it must have been some mega engine of some sort to sound that powerful from afar.
Anyway as we started to make our way from the border feeling gobsmacked a Cammo Dude came past our car going about 50mph from out of nowhere,I was going to sound my horn at him for startling me as he really did come past fast and close to our hire car,but I thought better of it.I even thought for a second he might pull us over,but never did.
Anyway we went on to the Black Mailbox and the Ale Inn,and had the famous burger which was very nice indeed.On the way back we stopped at the top of GLR and watched a red car going down the road with my binoculars and saw how a Cammo Dude lay in wait for him to drive past them he followed him towards the border.
Oh yes,one more thing.The day before I had a brilliant 5 hours outside Nellis 2 runways,I had B-52's,B1's,F-15's,16's,18's and C-130's and a few German F-4s buzzing very close over my head.
Two days I will remember for the rest of my life.
All the best
Ian.
Ps can anyone come up with any ideas to what I heard.

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]