Re: Sightings at Rachel

Message posted by Richard Cliff on June 19, 2000 at 05:24:16 EST:

Hi folks

Joerg actually emailed me about the activity askign what it was all about and why so active straight after Red Flag.
Heres the answer coming straight from my friend at Nellis:
""<<<"The Germans Weapons School Mission Employment phase and the B-1 Joint Operations phase are both going on. Lots of jets but no more than a normal Red Flag except guys are flying lower than your friend is used to seeing them.

The USAF Fighter Weapons School Mission Employment phase starts next week. That's like a Red Flag on steroids.""">>

so there you go...a Red Flag on steroids...which explains why you heard and saw so many jets and helos.

As for Jim's Reply:
Those aircraft do not fly over Nevada and the X-29 hasnt been flying for a while i believe.
they only fly in the R2508 complex around Edwards AFB.

As for 'spinning'
I see and hear this going on regularly.
I have the UK AFFTC aircraft do spinning trials just west of me, going from 45,000ft spinning uncontrollably until the last moment and getting the control back, its all part of training and trials.

Seeing an aircraft spin over the Nellis Ranges is not that uncommon.
You'll be suprised at what some of the aircraft do out there.

Replying to the aircraft around the Rachel area at 11pm:

If they came from the west(area 51) like you said, then they would of come from Range 74 and the Quartzite Mnt Range near Reveille not Area 51.
They generally like this area and play around from the ranges all the way to Caliente which is a favourite place to annoy the residents with low level sonic booms.
sit in a line between Range 74 and Caliente and you are bound to see and hear jets and helos night and day with the occasional B-1b and B52 doing a low level run in and the occasional Herc on low level general handling.

Dont forget, Nellis AFB is the largest and most active Air Combat Command airfield in the USA being the Air Warfare Centre, Tactical Weapons School, Host of airWarrior and Flags plus the Qualified weapons instructor phases and conversion units.

regards
Richard Cliff

In Reply to: Re: Sightings at Rachel posted by Crazymaler on June 18, 2000 at 12:55:02 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]