Re: Controversy over the real name for Area 51

Message posted by Richard Cliff on June 16, 2000 at 12:25:55 EST:

Hi folks

Well....im not sure you can say AFFTC Det 3 is the official name.

Mainyl because as far as i know AFFTC det.3 is actually at Edwards AFB together with Det.4
Detachment 3 apparently just owns and runs the Test Facility at Groom Lake with in the past the DoE which have pulled as you all know.
The President and such calls it 'the Operating Facility near Groom Lake' and other buffs call it Area 51.
Its Official name is definately NOT Area 51.
I would go by the base myself as 'Groom Lake Test Facility' not operating facility.
I suppose you can also call it the 'Groom Lake Test Range' as apposed to the 'Tonopah Test Range'except Tonopah tests 'alot' more things than aircraft and of course has the range...which Groom does not.

Going back to AFFTC Det.3:
They also run and own the BaseCamp and have tethers in the TTR.
So how can Groom lake be 'called' AFFTC Det.3 when AFFTC Det.3 also own and run Basecamp(together with DoE), parts of Tonopah(Together with DoE and Sandia), Edwards AFB(HQ and units), parts of the White Sands Ranges and probably some of the Pacific Ranges.

Its no airbase, its no Plant, its just a Test Facility.
However across the USA there are plenty of sites named 'Area" and a # prefix after it. So why 'not' call it area51 as an official name.....? but thats not my saying so....

Just ask the damn government....so far all i have heard them call it is 'operating location/facility near Groom Lake, nevada'

Leave it at that i suppose.

richard

In Reply to: Re: Controversy over the real name for Area 51 posted by Crazymaler on June 11, 2000 at 01:01:48 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]