Re: A nuclear bomb on the moon

Message posted by Magoo on May 14, 2000 at 23:56:36 EST:

Hi Pink

It is highly unlikely that this would have been related to Area 51 in any way, although it is a highly interesting pickup - well done.

Groom Lake was at the time just a runway and a few sheds, and was about to be upgraded pending the arrival of the CIA's A-12, the forebear of the SR-71. It is more likely any research for such a project would have originated from Los Alamos in New Mexico, as this is where the orginal nuclear weapons were developed and tested. The NTS adjoining Area 51 was the primary test area, but little actual research aside from the actual detonations actually took place there.

In relation to the actual article - I can't imagine any launch vehicles of the late 50's having the capability to even reach the moon, let alone hit a target with two miles ON the moon! I think perhaps some creative licence on the part of the media has been taken with that. To put that in context, it took the USSR's most powerful rocket booster of the time to put a 10 pound ball called Sputnik I into a low-earth orbit in 1957, so how big a vehicle would it have taken to put a 1000+ pound nuclear bomb on the moon?!?!?!?! This would not have been remotely possibl;e until 1963+ at least!

As an aside, Carl Sagan is arguably one of the greatest astronomers, scientists and theorists of our time, and I get really pissed off when people come out after someone like Sagan has died, and attempts to discredit them like this has-been obviously has tried to do!

Magoo

In Reply to: A nuclear bomb on the moon posted by Pink Dolphin on May 14, 2000 at 23:17:07 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]