Re: Boats

Message posted by Richard C on May 12, 2000 at 07:34:16 EST:

Magoo,

I was not aware of the Chinese being after a Kirov, thats scary.
I was aware of them buying the Sovremenny class.
I went down to Devonport(35 miles from me) to watch a Russian Sovremenny class come in and do a SAR and Tactical Exercise with the British Destroyers and Frigates and a German D122 class Frigate.
Magnificent ships and very large. They have the same sleek lines as the Kirov and are VERY menacing looking ships, especially when you see its armament compared with NATO ships, we havent got a chance.

DAS BOOT was one, if not the best Submarine film ever made, and the full length version is so long its just fantastic, several hours long.
The action, thrill and just sensation of what the submariners went through is really 'life like' in the film.

As for the Kirovs again....thats just scary that the chinese may aquire one or two.
I can only imagine what the American commanders are thinking of the chinese having a battlecruiser capable of destroying a whole USNavy Carrier task force with just that one ship.
Nuclear Powered it can shadow the carrier group for aslong as it wants and using the Helix and Hormone for over the horizon targetting makes it a formidable foe.

I would like to see the reactions of a SeaHawk crew seeing below them a Kirov cruising in the South China Sea.
It would get the same reaction as the British and Americans got when they sent out their Nimrods and Orions to greet the Kiev when it made its first North Sea movement, and co-incidently that movement was up and down the British coastline just outside British National waters.
The Kiev class i think are very awesome, especially with the weapon fit.
The Indians have, or going to buy one to replace the old HMS Hermes they have named Variaat operating their Sea Harrier FRS-1's and etc.

The Kiev are huge ships.

Richard

In Reply to: Re: Boats posted by Magoo on May 11, 2000 at 19:18:32 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]