Re: Boats

Message posted by Richard on May 11, 2000 at 08:43:00 EST:

Magoo,

Allthe Typhoons are laid up i think rusting away in Murmansk and Vladivostok.
As for the Iowa Class, they are all now mothballed with Missouri laid up near the Arizona memorial as a memorial to Iowa as the end of the pacific war and Arizona as a memorial to the start of the pacific war.

I still think the British should of kept the Vanguard Class Battleship, it was the same size, of not i think 2ft longer than the Iowa Class Battleships.

The Typhoon was the sub that was the centre of attention in the 'Hunt for the red October' an excellent film with Sean Connery As the Captain of it.

Can you imagine being in a 26,000ton beast underwater and being the same size as an American Cruiser?

You also missed out another Beast .
The Kirov class Battlecruiser which is still operational.
It is the heaviest and largest surface combatant of modern times to be built apart from the American Carriers and the new French Carrier and the russian Kutznetov and Kiev Class Carriers.
It is Nuclear Powered and nearly the length of the Iowa Class BBs at 814ft, 92ft wide but weighing much less at 28,000 tons.
Its sleek lines make it the most awesome modern surface combatant i have ever seen.

Its armament is designned to take out american Carrier TASK FORCE groups with it being the only ship in the force, meaning it is a lone cruiser with the power to destroy a whole American task Group from long-range.
It has 3 helos also.

As backing onto the Stealth Subs...
The Akula class was able to sustain 32-34kts submerged and there were 13 boats built.

Alpha Class had a suspected sustainable speed submerged of nearly 46kts.

Because of the speed of the ruskie subs, the British, being the most advanced country in ASW weaponry (thats official) developed the Spearfish torpedo.
Its capable of a staggering 70kts and the range is far superior to anything seen. It is wire guided and so no countermeasures are effective. Its a first shot, first Hit, first kill torpedo and has the destructive power to take out the strongest of targets in one blow.

For air-launched they deveopled the Tigerfish, aswell as being sea launched it is also very powerful but not have the speed of the Spearfish heavyweight torpedo.

Rich

In Reply to: Re: Boats posted by Magoo on May 10, 2000 at 10:07:57 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]