Re: Boats

Message posted by Richard on May 10, 2000 at 07:28:06 EST:

Magoo,

The Akulas like many Ruskie subs such as the Oscars suffered from losing the Anechoic tiles designed for quiet running.
They used to come home with hundreds lost.

I know the disadvantage for the SSK's but they are still the quietest boats albeit slow and air breathing.
As for a Tri-maran carrier etc, the design is actually very cheap, which is why the British have gone for it for the DDG design.
I saw the prototype being completed on the news, with a USNavy Commander standing there also, he said to the news team, he was there because the USN have deep interest in the British design.
The Designer says: "The Tri-maran boats will be near enough invisible to Submarine Sonar as the 97% of the hull is out and above the water with just a tiny amount of hull in the water to stabilise the motion as the hull acts like a wing and lifts the Destroyer up to make a full speed of over 50kts.

So, in the ASW role its a perfect design, just the like the Hovercraft is...completely invisible to Sonar.

Boats dont need stealth paint or material like that of the Sea-Shadow nowadays....you can use old designs to be just as effective.

The French Navy already has a frigate in service that is very stealthy....it has faceted design but is GREY, the normal colour.
The British Type-23 frigate believe it or not has stealth characteristics in its hull and this has been proven in the Flag Officers Sea Training or 'thursday war'.

the Swedish Stealth Patrol vessel is a very fast boat, ive seen it in action and it works fine for the Baltic Sea!

As i mentioned also before, the american Sea-shadow was too stealthy and so much so it made the water invisible too, which showed up on radar like the empire state building...

Bring back the Taifon!(Typhoon)!!!
The most awesome boat that has ever set sail, or should i say dived.
26,000 tons submerged and as long as a ticonderoga class Cruiser....

In Reply to: Re: Boats posted by Magoo on May 09, 2000 at 09:44:11 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]