Re: ok, one more

Message posted by lone wolf on September 28, 2003 at 22:44:35 PST:

The night time arrival changes everything. I would say go for Coyote Summit because there is a sign and it is right by the highway. When you get towards the top of the hill, get out of the vehicle and scout out the area with a flashlight. There is a grounding rod you don't want to hit. Fortunately, it is very tall, maybe 5 ft. The fire pit is towards the back; you don't want to drive over it. Look for tire hazards and such.

An alternative if you are not some whack job is to drive to the front gate and camp at the parking area toward the right just before the dip that leads to the warning signs. This will not be a problem if you drive slowly once you see the speed limit decrease. However, if you are a loose canon, you may overshoot the warning signs. There is no gate at the border. I would not use the mailbox road short cut, but make the turn down GLR from the ET Highway. You will need to be careful to look for cattle, especially on GLR where stopping will be difficult. There will be cattle on the ET highwy as well. I would suggest 45MPH at night on the ET highway and maybe 30 on GLR. At the parking area just before the border, look around to see where the road continues up the hill. The camo dudes sometimes use this road, so you don't want to block it, let alone camp on it.

I think making your first visit to the front gate at night would be damn exciting. It was pretty fun driving the road at night after having done it in the day a few times. You should not explore anything, just park in the area and observe. The border is difficult to see in the daylight, let alone at night. [All roads have warning signs, otherwise you have the orange posts. It is hard to drive past the border if you are observant, but hiking across it could happen if you are not careful.] The cammo dudes will be blacked out, but they occasionally turn on their dome lights so you can spot them. [The area is rigged with cameras, so use discretion when appropriate.]

In the parking lot just before the warning signs, there is a large pole. I don't know the function of the pole, but it is far enough back that you won't hit it while entering the lot. However, if you go past that pole about 10ft in the direction away from GLR, you will see the red light from the Papoose Mountain facility, aka whackybeam #2.

I don't have waypoints on GLR except perhaps where it intersects Mailbox Road, which is not very useful here. Perhaps somebody has the waypoint for the camping area near the border.

In Reply to: ok, one more posted by TheDuckman on September 28, 2003 at 21:54:28 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]