Re: Roommate and I are going to Area 51, wondering some things...

Message posted by Hank on September 22, 2003 at 20:42:17 PST:

This is just some small amount of info. Iam sure their will be more coming. You can check the weather report from a link on the home page of this site. Right now its high 80s in the day 40s at night.You can camp anywhere outside the border. In the past I have camped near the border at GLR, near the backgate, and near Cedar Gate. I have never been bothered and never felt uneasy.Whether you need tents or want to camp out is strictly a personal preference. Remember you are near nothing. If you are coming up from Vegas be sure to gas in Alamo. If you are coming up 95 gas in Tonopah. Sometimes their is gas in Rachel at the Quik Pik sometimes not. Bring plenty of water, more than you think you will need. It could be in the 90s and at 5000 feet its easy to dehydrate and not realize it till its too late. Make sure the vehicle is in good shape. No cell phone service. I carry extra water for the vehicle, and extra fan belt lots and lots of duct tape, fix a flat,and food and water for 3 days. I have been in the area quite a few times and sometimes have not seen another person for a day or two when I have been camping. Depending where you are its a long walk to anywhere. That being said I have never had a problem. Take flashlights, plenty of batteries, cameras with plenty of film or an extra smart card, binoculars, and a scanner if you have one available. If you read the road trips link it may give you a better idea of what youll see. If you have a scanner their is a good list of freqs on this site. Iam sure that other posters will have their own suggestions. Enjoy you trip and please feel free to post a trip report.
Hank

In Reply to: Roommate and I are going to Area 51, wondering some things... posted by TheDuckman on September 22, 2003 at 20:17:59 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]