Re: Next Red Flag

Message posted by lone wolf on August 31, 2003 at 11:24:15 PST:

A similar combination was used for these photos at Nellis. I'd like to find out the location for the take-off photos. The landing photos appear to be taken under the flight line at the new location (further north). I don't like the angle of those images.

Your combination will not fill the frame (something very important with digital cameras due to low resolution) from Las Vegas Blvd. I used a 400mm plus 1.4 teleconverter on a 35mm camera from the blvd, and only the large planes like the awacs were close to filling the frame. [The teleconverter plus 400mm lens is about 560mm equivalent.] I don't have my film back yet, but I recall most of the fighter type planes filled about 1/3 of the frame width, which is good enough for 35mm plus 4000 ppi scan, yielding about 1800 pixels wide. I was able to shoot using iso 200 film at F8 equivalent, never getting less than 1/800th. If the 10D can focus with a 1.4x teleconverter, your lens should work. At Nellis, I found it very easy to track the planes using a Bogen 501 video head, which should help make sharper photos. At Coyote Summit, the tripod really got in the way since the planes would show up from too many posititions. I tried a monopole, but didn't find it too useful either, and simply ended up shooting hand-held.

From the power lines, the planes will either be very close or too far away.

Attached link: canon 10d + 100-400mm lens

In Reply to: Next Red Flag posted by speedbird15 on August 31, 2003 at 6:46:20 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]