Re: 2 days at Red Flag

Message posted by lone wolf on August 30, 2003 at 19:48:09 PST:

Clearly, the Red Flag participants were more camera shy at this flag than in previous exercises.

I drove down the back gate road and found the SA "threat" about 6 miles back from the ET highway. Perhaps we can sell this info to the pilots. ;-) I did hear one conversation on the scanner where the pilot did not enter the range because he spotted a threat.

While the flag was just so-so, the weapons school was very entertaining. Generally night time watching is done at the mail box or the gravel by the ET highway. However, we watched from Coyote Summit since BlackF150 was providing some tasty goodies on the hibachi, for which we are grateful. Coyote Summit is a good spot to watch the weapons school. Most of the furballs occur in the ranges east of the ET highway, while the bombing happens around range 74, which is behind your left shoulder if you faced the ET highway.

Besides RF and the weapons school, we went to the Alamo airport to watch a parachute exercise. [Jimi Hendrix was there. (Inside joke.)]

I think we need to investigate some new viewspots for RF besides Coyote Summit. Many planes egressed through a mountain notch, then flew behind Coyote Summit. I was on a hill near the summit and managed to get some photos of these planes, but they were quite far away.

In Reply to: 2 days at Red Flag posted by Hank on August 30, 2003 at 18:31:53 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]