2 days at Red Flag

Message posted by Hank on August 30, 2003 at 18:31:53 PST:

This will be short as I know that their will be other reports from people that were there most of the week and saw more than I did.Arrived in Rachel Monday am after checking in at the Meadow Lane Motel in Alamo. $38.00 a night. Had phone in room and didnt have any problem accessing the internet for my laptop. Cable TV with 42 channels. Local channels were from Denver . Room was very clean, plenty of towels and plenty hot water. As it was Monday the Inn was closed. They were transferring the radar between the trucks just like they did week before last in the parking lot.I believe that someone posted a picture two weeks ago. If anyone is interested both Gary and I have pics. After about an hour of practice they took off for the back gate. They said that they moved it around for Red Flag so that the pilots couldnt get used to where it was.Gary showed up at that time and then Black F150.We went to Coyote Summit for the afternoon exercise and ran into Chuck Clark. Saw some of the usual stuff and a Harrier. When it was over F150 decided to host a bbq so we just stayed up there and they were nice enough to fire up the grill and feed us. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
While dinner was going on, my scanner lit up and here comes The Weapons School with a night exercise. Many aircraft, bombing runs, flares, etc. Very spectacular. I have seen these a couple times before but this was awesome.As an aside the view of Mars from Coyote was worth the trip. The sky was clear and their was a little breeze. I live in Phoenix so any cool weather is appreciated. About 9:00 I had to put on a lite jacket.I think the exercise lasted till around 11:30 and we cleaned up our area and headed for the mailbox. We hung around there till about 1:00am and headed for the house. Gary said he was going to camp out at the powerlines to see what was to be seen. I missed SEZBRONCO as he was arriving after I left.I also missed Jim Bob who I believe was at Texas Lake with Gary. I will leave the rest to the other posters. Looking forward to October Flag
Hank

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]