Re: Edwards AFB Airshow

Message posted by lone wolf on August 24, 2003 at 8:22:32 PST:

At the last Edwards open house, they set up a "receiving line" of sorts where they inspected your bags. I had no trouble with a large backpack type camera case. Believe it or not, what they didn't like was the cloth holder for my fold-up chair.

Nellis was another story. They had a no backpack rule. What I do in those situations is use a seriously large photographic fanny pack, big enough for a 400mm lens.

There are no specific flight line rules. That is, once you pass security at the gate, you are done. For Edwards, you are parked very far away and use open air shuttles to get to the base. For Nellis, you park at the raceway and then take a bus.

A few things to keep in mind. For Edwards, it is nice to bring a flash, since much of the show is the static displays, many of which are in hangers. For either show, you need to factor in the travel time on the bus if you have a flight to catch. To maximize the amount of photo gear you carry, don't bring a large water bottle. The USAF provides water at the shows for free, and there isn't much of a line. [The Navy is another story. Long lines for overpriced water.]

Off topic a bit, but since I mentioned water, note that our military personel in Iraq are provided with 2.2 liters of water per day. Hardly enough for a region with daytime temps around 120 degrees. You can always complain by writing at www.house.gov and www.senate.gov. It only took two days of complaining to get the combat pay restored, so writing your senators and congressman does do some good.

In Reply to: Edwards AFB Airshow posted by speedbird15 on August 24, 2003 at 7:40:03 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]