Restrictions @ Nellis

Message posted by Gunner on August 12, 2003 at 18:16:23 PST:

Hello all:

New to the discussion forum, however I have news. On 8/8/03 at 17:30 hours, my wife and I stopped at the North Fence at Nellis. We drove past a concrete barrier across half of the road (and tried not to notice some new warning signs banning access) and parked at our favorite spot. They were coming home from the day's Red Flag activities and we observed some 30 to 40 landings (F-16, F-15E, F-18, A-6, Marine and Royal Navy Harriers). After about 20 minutes, I noticed a gold or bronze colored Tahoe or Suburban approach and park some distance behind our car. A young man dressed in what appeared to be civilian clothing got out and started walking toward us. I was not concerned as he appeared to be there to enjoy the show as we were. I was watching the first of the larger aircraft following the fighters approach (C-130) when the young man started talking to my wife, informing her that this was now Air Force property and that we would have to leave. I spoke with him, asking if this was a new thing. He said "No...it's about three months old". He also informed me that we would be able to watch from Las Vegas Blvd. (within 75 feet of the road, or from the North access road). I asked him "why?" and he stated that it was for safety reasons, plus the fact that it "makes the pilots nervous". He never did say anything about increased security, which actually makes sense to me. Also, it makes sense considering the fact that they are carrying live ordanance. Actually, I cannot believe this hasn't been done before now. As for the three months statement, I know that is not accurate, since my daughter spent three and one half hours there last Tuesday (8/5/03) morning watching and photographing the departures. Anyway...the guy was polite but firm. It appears that the "good ol days" are gone.

Does anyone have a good alternate site? We have tried the South end of the runways on Cheyenne, however they don't (can't) hotdog for us like they did on the northern departure route. We have actually had them wave at us and stand the Eagles on their tails at times, just because we were there.

We missed a couple of AWACs, refueling aircraft, and who knows what else? It is a sad day.

Any comment or similar experience?

Gunner

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]