Re: Who works at Area 51?

Message posted by Hal on July 17, 2003 at 9:35:16 PST:

Actually, the interrogation process starts small--first you fill out a massive questionaire, I think it was 24 pages in the 60's. Then they research your answers and question anyone who ever knew you--I got calls from girl friends I had forgotten about, wondering why the FBI?gov't was checking up on me.

Some time later you would be called in for another interview,where you would be required to verbally answer all the questions again. On another ocassion you would be called again and asked about your responses to the questions--they had taped the earlier sessions plus they had reports back from their field agents--ugh.

At some point you will be asked to come to Washington for further interviews. This involves being placed in a "rubber room" in total darkness and quiet for what seemed like three days--I recall three dinner meals, but my watch was taken from me. Then there was the classic light in the face interrogation from three or more people who fired questions at me rapidly. More darkness and then three or more people who yell at you for about 6 hours, questioning everything about you. At about this point I came to realize that this organization was really difficult to get into and that it was probably equally difficult to get out of, so I opted for a standing offer from the DoD. The CIA who had investigated me THOROUGHLY, made it easy to get a security clearance. I worked for the DoD for 31 years.

I remember one question in particular from the list as this one got me interrogated over and over. The question was had I ever done anything illegal. I answered yes without elaboration. I was told that they didn't consider vehicle-related things as "illegal," and I said OK, again without elaboration. When questioned further, I refused to answer because of the statute of limitations--their agents must have had lots of fun finding out about my "activities," but I was questioned about it in detail some months later!!

Our Fraternity at college ran a booze smuggling operation across the Mexican border--college was in a dry county, a terrible thing. The CIA was interested in how it was that none of us had ever been caught, even though it was a $100,000/year business for our Frat.

As far as qualifications, the degree and language skills will get you into the initial stages of the "interview" process. My degree was in physics and math, and I spoke and read German, as well as a smattering of Spanish plus I could read French; and I was a pilot--learned early-on how to evade radar by flying really LOW and how to make unusual use of duct tape to alter the numbers on the rented aircraft. I also was an amateur radio enthusiast, something they seemed to regard. Since the CIA/gov't has some really good language schools, I gathered that they were interested if one showed an ability to learn foreign languages.

Hal

In Reply to: Re: Who works at Area 51? posted by Jeremy on July 17, 2003 at 8:05:07 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]