Re: black predator

Message posted by will on July 09, 2003 at 22:12:45 PST:

Friends,

Last night I went and looked up the article in question.
Yes its from the Aust magazine 'Aircraft and Aerospace' September 2000 P.43 by Gerry Carman.
The title is 'Tomorrows strike fighter' and is on the X-32.

Mid way down the Carman writes of the visit to Palmdale and says" flying in on a B717 chartered by Boeing and seeing what appeared to be a scaled down version of the B-2 stealth bomber beside one hangar and the latest version of the high flying U-2, with its massive wing span parked further along- with an SR-71 and other types across the other side of the airfield-reinforced the importance of the facility which has been the home of many of the U.S' "black" programmes".

Thats as it is .

So its a scaled down B-2 like aircraft beside a hangar, a U-2 further along and an Sr-71 across the way .
The article mentions they visited recently so I suppose in the few weeks or months September 2000.

Magoo mate, depending where you are here, perhaps your local library will have back issues of 'Aircraft and Aerospace ' available and you can check it out for yourself.

Carman seems to be specific here as seeing the baby B-2 aircraft as the 717 landed out the window next to the hangar and the U-2 nearby.

I wasn't far off as the Sr-71 was across the airfield away from the mystery aircraft and U-2.

The U-2 nearby may have helped him determine it was like a scaled down B-2 by comparing the respective sizes of the aircraft.

I wonder what he saw?.

Hope thats of some help.

Cheers

Will.

In Reply to: Re: black predator posted by Magoo on July 08, 2003 at 16:19:46 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]