Re: the end of the desert end???

Message posted by Hank on July 07, 2003 at 17:01:19 PST:

Iam not a local as I live in Phoenix but Iam at that fence at least 3 times a month. About nine months ago private contractors started some ground clearing on the east side toward Sunrise Mountain. Since then they have moved large amounts of dirt to the north towards the prison and west towards the base. They are about 1/2 mile from the east fence and have seemed to stop there. I havent seen any dirt moved for at least 3 or 4 months. I have been told by locals that they have dug deep bunkers to add to the existing ones that they use for ammo storage.Two years ago their was a for sale sign at the start of the dirt road by the north fence. I talked to the realtor and he said that the land outside the fence was privatley owned and that it was zoned industrial. He said that land went approx. 1 mile east toward Sunrise Mt. and after that it was BLM land. At that time I read that Nellis was trying to get that portion of land thru some type of swap or direct assignment from BLM.The article stated that the land would be used for further missle and other miscellaneous ammo storage, as well as serve as a buffer for aircraft taking off with lots of stuff hanging on the wings.If you go past the fence on the dirt road and try to follow the fence line south you will run in to a no trespassing sign. It does not look like a government sign, more like a private contractors sign. I will be there in the next week or two and will post some pics of whats there. I have sent an email to the Nellis PIO. If I get a response I will post it.
Hank

In Reply to: the end of the desert end??? posted by steve on July 07, 2003 at 13:39:33 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]